In 1913 an Orthodox chapel was built on the site of the Uspenski Cathedral in Katajanokka to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Treaty of Hamina. Yet the chapel was viewed as a symbol of Russia’s oppressive politics, which led to a group of patriotic students to smudge it with tar after Finland became independent. After unsuccessful attempts to remove the tar, the building was demolished in 1920.
This Katajanokka bag is part of the Helsinki collection. Hand printed in Käpylä, Helsinki.
Print colour: black
Material: 100% recycled denim textile waste (by Pure Waste)